Saturday, December 19, 2009

Weekend Cooking: Sandwiches




I took a vacation day from work yesterday and headed to Atlanta for an overnight girls' trip with my mom, sister, and three young nieces. The primary purpose of the visit was to go to the American Girl store, but we also added a ride on the historic Pink Pig train at the Lenox Mall Macy's; a precious play, Madeline's Christmas, at the Horizon Theater; and an impromptu lunch at Figo, where I had the most amazing sandwich.

The crusty roll with prosciutto and buffalo mozzarella was enhanced by peppery arugula, vine-ripened tomatoes, and rosemary mayonnaise.

I have long held the belief that the best sandwich is made for me by someone else. Given equal ingredients, even basic ones from the home refrigerator, another person is bound to make a better sandwich than I make myself. Why is that?

That said, I do have one go-to entertaining sandwich that never fails from the 2005 Southern Living Annual Recipes cookbook:

1 large deli-loaf focaccia or ciabatta bread
1 3.5-ounce jar prepared pesto
1/2 pound thinly sliced Black Forest ham
1/2 pound thinly sliced roasted turkey breast
6 provolone cheese slices
1/2 small red onion, thinly sliced

Cut bread in half horizontally using a serrated knife. Spread pesto evenly over cut sides. Layer remaining ingredients over bottom half of bread and top with remaining half. Wrap in aluminum foil and bake at 450 degrees for 10 minutes. Cut into 6 wedges or smaller portions for appetizers.

Weekend Cooking is hosted by Beth Fish Reads.

5 comments:

bermudaonion said...

Anything someone else fixes is better in my book! That sandwich does sound delicious!

Beth F said...

The luxury of being waited on increases the flavor. That sandwich sounds awesome.

caite said...

other people's food always tastes better. it is a scientific fact. ;-)

but that sandwich, actually both of them, sounds good. I love toasted sandwiches.

Heather said...

Anything with focaccia and ham has to be yummy. It's my favorite bread!!! I'll have to try this out.

Oh my goodness, you won't believe this but my word verification is bread. Too ironic!

(Diane) Bibliophile By the Sea said...

Just wanted to stop by to say Happy Holidays to you an yours. Thanks for being a loyal blogging buddy.